Monday, 20 July 2015

Ambition vs Expectation


‘Well, that was no fun!’ I said as the door slammed behind me. I threw my kit down in the entrance and headed for the kitchen. I had taken part in a competition at the local shooting range all day where little had gone my way. It was exceptionally frustrating, as I had won with ease the year before. I plucked open the fridge only to see a minute spirit of wisdom sitting cross legged on the shelf next to the cola. ‘That’s what expectation will do to you.’ He said without greeting.

‘’What will expectation do?’ I took the can of cola from the shelf and closed the fridge.

‘Cause disappointment.’ The fridge door opened and the spirit drifted out and down to the floor.   

‘Should I have gone to the competition without expectation? Should I have expected to lose?’ I snapped sceptically.
You went last year to have fun. You wanted nothing of the day but to relax and meet new people - and you won. This year you went to win, focused and determined. You returned feeling miserable. Don’t you think there is a connection?’ The spirit returned to his familiar form and size,

‘Are you saying I should have no ambition in life?’ I asked after sipping the cold refreshment.

‘Ambition is good, but it is very different from expectation.’ The spirit turned into vapour as he spoke, and sank down into the floor.      

No comments:

Post a Comment