Tuesday, 28 July 2015

Labels


‘I put all those photo’s in the album labelled memories.’ I pointed to the book shelf laded with files and albums, all clearly marked for easy identification. The spirit of wisdom shook his head as he chuckled. ‘What’s so funny?’ I demanded.

‘Humans are so funny insisting that everything have a name or a label. See how you have marked all your files? Humans want to do that with everything they observe.’ The spirit stretched out his hand and the relevant file slipped out of its resting place, drifted in mid air and gentle stopped in the his grasp. ‘That’s how we are able to recognise our world.’ Bemused, I shook my head at the thought of a noun-less living. ’An object that has no name, or a creature that defies description defies observation. Because it has no noun, no adjective, your labelling machine of a mind rejects that thing, and it becomes invisible to you.

‘I can see everything in this world!’ I insisted, looking around the room. I rattled off the names of everything I could see. ‘Ah yes!’ said the spirit, ‘You see, and call out everything with a name and an adjective attached to it. The room is full of things you have not labelled.’ He stared blankly at me, ‘Can you point one out to me?’

No comments:

Post a Comment